Skip to main content

With reflections on motherhood, 8mm film, memories and music...

'My little prince' and me...July 2015

I have had a night of reflection following an extraordinary one and a half hours in which I shared 32 year old Super 8mm film reels with my daughter. There is no soundtrack;  the only audible comments are those we made while watching them together so many years later.  She is now a mother of a 17 month old son, and awaiting the arrival of another child in December.

The reels, filmed mainly by her father, commenced with minutes of her, before she could walk, staggering for a few steps before falling onto her bottom, only to straddle forward for another few steps. They concluded with her, at about 5 years of age, riding a small tricycle with a back tray in which she carried her younger brother. In between they documented the life which was hers for those 4 or so years.  Our family traversing Europe while I was pregnant with her brother, returning to Australia and showing, even at such an early age, her enduring strength of character.

The particular joy I felt when I watched these images with her tonight was when my daughter looked at the little girl in the film, feeling realistically disconnected from the image, but realising how much that little girl looked like and had some of the mannerisms of her son!

Two months ago I was visiting Sydney and my grandson, 'my little prince',  was at the same stage of development as his mother had been as that tottering toddler;  holding on tightly to my daughter's hand as he tentatively put one foot in front, or to the side, depending on his balance, of each other.

This weekend they are visiting us in Perth, on the other side of Australia. They arrived late last night; and while we started the day in a bright and breezy frame of mind, as the day progressed my little prince became more unwell with a nasty cough and a wheezy sound in his chest.  Some hours later he is settled, but the threat of a possible  emergency visit  to the children's hospital loomed large over the afternoon despite the visit of a doctor.  It reminded me of an emergency trip to the same hospital when my daughter was a little girl of  4;  I stayed all night in a chair beside her bed, terrified, exhausted but thankful for the care she was given.  When I awoke from a fitful, upright sleep it was to see my mother offering me her comforting chicken sandwiches.  I hadn't thought about that night for so many years but after watching these films my memories, long unremembered, but not forgotten, have resurfaced.

And I wonder, did my mother feel these same emotions?  The emotions of a mother reflecting on the amazing journey that she takes towards becoming a grandmother? The early uncertainties of motherhood, the mistakes, the joys and moments of indescribable pride,  the apologies, the tears of happiness and sadness?  The what ifs?...

I will never know because my mother died many years ago.  But I now want to have these conversations with my daughter;  I don't want her to wonder as I do.  And equally I would like to have them with my son when he is a father.

My night of reflection has also encouraged me to disturb from their long repose the music tracks which enveloped me in the evenings those 30 or so years ago after the children had drifted off to sleep;  they have quietly again played as I write, and have comforted me as my memories have reappeared as the treasures that they are.  

Comments

  1. I used ScanDigital transfer my 8mm to DVDs. It is such a relief to not have to think about those reels deteriorating in my closet.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Boyfriend, Manfriend, Partner, Companion…a new word required….

Dance "partners" (microsoft) I read a really interesting article the other day written by a Generation Y male lamenting that his girlfriend no longer referred to him as her “boyfriend”, but in an overheard conversation as her “partner”.  He took exception to this expression writing: “I must have missed the memo on my sexless new categorisation – I would certainly not have approved it.  A ‘partner’ is someone you twirl around at a barn dance”. (Andy Jones, Grazia magazine) I have had a business partner;  there are partners in law, stockbroking and accounting firms. And so to refer to my personal life-sharer as a partner was not comfortable for me. But despite the fact that the English language is alive and evolving, there is not a word or an expression to reflect the status of one’s “life companion” whether in a gay or straight relationship if not committed to, or already married. The word “companion” actually applies in both French and Italian. Although in Engl

Bali…Bogans, Tattoos and the Ugly Australian…

Balinese temple (photo LP 2010) I have returned in the past few days from a holiday in Bali, Indonesia, with my sister.  Unlike my trip in 2010 when I stayed more remotely in the north west at Pemuteran  and  the north east at Amed, this visit was to a five star resort in Legian. What a difference!  The streets of Legian were very busy, the locals almost outnumbered by the Australian tourists.  I heard very few languages other than “Aussie” spoken and it reminded me that when I travelled with my French boyfriend to the northern part of Bali, I was told by the Europeans I met that they tended to avoid the tourist hubs of Kuta, Legian and Seminyak because of the loud, rude and crude Australians…yes a generalisation about the Aussies, but unfortunately, as I was to learn, a correct one. A friendly local trying to sell us a toy (photo LP 2012) It is difficult to write this post without appearing a “snob”.  But having canvassed my ideas with friends, acquaintances, col

Friendships...gold and silver...real and virtual...priceless!

My 21st birthday dinner...Oh so formal then! I was talking with a friend the other day about friendship.  About how it impacts on our lives, from childhood and teenage friends, to becoming friends with boyfriends’s friends, husband’s friends and their wives, parents of other school children, social club friends,  friends after divorce or death of a partner, passing friendships, acquaintances…and now virtual friends. It’s complicated. And I am finding in my “middle” years that my need for friends has reduced…not that I don’t value and cherish my friends, but my actual need has lessened.  Why, I wonder?  I used always be a “People who need People” (with apologies to whoever wrote the song made famous in  Funny Girl ) sort of a person.  I was always out and about, making sure that I saw my friends, knew all that was going on with them and theirs.  Afternoon tea for the girls...with bubbles! However, as the years have moved on, my children have become independent