Skip to main content

The Big Banks...and Manners. Compatible or not?....

Always read the fine print

After reading an interesting article in a weekend paper which encouraged depositors to “shop around” for good Term Deposit rates, I did just that this morning.

Armed with newspaper ads from the business pages I approached my usual bank and asked for the best rate they could give me. A very polite Gen Y assistant advised me of the figure 5.20%  When I advised him that the advertisements from competitors offered better rates he rang his superior...”OK, Madam, 5.60%. He then suggested that I see other banks to compare the rates! All of this service, and with a smile and a professional manner.

So, down the highway I went and offered my business to another of the Australian “ Big Banks”. The portly and pleasant assistant quoted the published rate and I suggested he might like to explore the opportunity of me moving all my banking needs to his institution....again with a smile, “Certainly, Madam, please excuse me while I check with my Manager...” . “OK Madam, if you use us as your primary bank we can offer you 5.70%

And again down the highway to a slightly smaller, but very competitive bank. “Yes, Madam, how may I assist you?” asked a young Gen Y assistant of Asian background. After hearing of my request he checked the published rates and then consulted with his manager, having requested information about the previous rates I had been offered. He appeared a few minutes later with a forlorn face. “Please accept my apologies, Madam, but we are unable to assist you with a competitive rate”. Then with a smile, he said: “Perhaps our E Saver Account could help even out the differences in your interest rates for some of your other accounts?” A great suggestion I am likely to follow through with.

Spare Euros from my recent visit to France

I regularly hear that the Big Banks are unfeeling and ungracious to those of us that wander in and don’t only use their ATM and internet banking facilities. It has certainly not been my experience today.

However, a fellow customer of my initial bank to which I returned, armed with the competitor information, made me squirm in the queue. He was dressed in “Stubbies” and thongs, with a large gut poking through a dirty red tee shirt. And he was not only gesticulating rudely to the very polite Gen Y assistant I had spoken to earlier, but also speaking in a tone which was not only threatening but could have been seen as abusive. And the problem for “Sir” was that he hadn’t read the date on his notification from the Bank about his Term Deposit rollover and so he felt that they had “scammed” him in order not to pay him a higher interest rate. He wanted to remove his funds and they didn’t try to dissuade him.

And Which Bank did I remain with? My initial bank which, after the Gen Y assistant made another call to a superior, offered me a rate of 5.70% and the sweetner of fee removal on currency exchange. And a very pleasant “ It is has been a pleasure doing business with you; is there anything further I can assist you with?” 


The lesson in all this....common courtesy goes a long way...and so does “shopping around”.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boyfriend, Manfriend, Partner, Companion…a new word required….

Dance "partners" (microsoft) I read a really interesting article the other day written by a Generation Y male lamenting that his girlfriend no longer referred to him as her “boyfriend”, but in an overheard conversation as her “partner”.  He took exception to this expression writing: “I must have missed the memo on my sexless new categorisation – I would certainly not have approved it.  A ‘partner’ is someone you twirl around at a barn dance”. (Andy Jones, Grazia magazine) I have had a business partner;  there are partners in law, stockbroking and accounting firms. And so to refer to my personal life-sharer as a partner was not comfortable for me. But despite the fact that the English language is alive and evolving, there is not a word or an expression to reflect the status of one’s “life companion” whether in a gay or straight relationship if not committed to, or already married. The word “companion” actually applies in both French and Italian. Although in Engl

Bali…Bogans, Tattoos and the Ugly Australian…

Balinese temple (photo LP 2010) I have returned in the past few days from a holiday in Bali, Indonesia, with my sister.  Unlike my trip in 2010 when I stayed more remotely in the north west at Pemuteran  and  the north east at Amed, this visit was to a five star resort in Legian. What a difference!  The streets of Legian were very busy, the locals almost outnumbered by the Australian tourists.  I heard very few languages other than “Aussie” spoken and it reminded me that when I travelled with my French boyfriend to the northern part of Bali, I was told by the Europeans I met that they tended to avoid the tourist hubs of Kuta, Legian and Seminyak because of the loud, rude and crude Australians…yes a generalisation about the Aussies, but unfortunately, as I was to learn, a correct one. A friendly local trying to sell us a toy (photo LP 2012) It is difficult to write this post without appearing a “snob”.  But having canvassed my ideas with friends, acquaintances, col

Friendships...gold and silver...real and virtual...priceless!

My 21st birthday dinner...Oh so formal then! I was talking with a friend the other day about friendship.  About how it impacts on our lives, from childhood and teenage friends, to becoming friends with boyfriends’s friends, husband’s friends and their wives, parents of other school children, social club friends,  friends after divorce or death of a partner, passing friendships, acquaintances…and now virtual friends. It’s complicated. And I am finding in my “middle” years that my need for friends has reduced…not that I don’t value and cherish my friends, but my actual need has lessened.  Why, I wonder?  I used always be a “People who need People” (with apologies to whoever wrote the song made famous in  Funny Girl ) sort of a person.  I was always out and about, making sure that I saw my friends, knew all that was going on with them and theirs.  Afternoon tea for the girls...with bubbles! However, as the years have moved on, my children have become independent